Born and bought up in Bangalore, completed graduation from the prestigious St. Joseph’s College of Commerce, University of Bangalore. Qualified as a Chartered Accountant in the year 1990 and elected as the President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India for the year 2014-15.
Qualification & Career
- Fellow member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India with more than 25 years of professional standing.
- Honorary Member of Certified Public Accountants of Australia.
- Senior Partner of K. Raghu & Co , a leading firm of Chartered Accountants in Bangalore.
- Specialized in Taxation, Audit, Business, Investment and Technology Consulting Services.
Central Council of ICAI
- Elected as the President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India ICAI by the 22nd Central Council on 12th February 2014 for the year 2014-15.
- Elected as the Vice President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India ICAI by the Central Council on 12th February 2013 for the year 2013-14.
- Member of the Central Council of ICAI from 2007 for three consecutive terms.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is a statutory body established under the Chartered Accountants Act, 1949 (Act No. XXXVIII of 1949) for the regulation of the profession of Chartered Accountancy in India. During its more than six decades of its existence, ICAI has achieved recognition as a premier accounting body not only in the country but also globally, for its contribution in the fields of education, professional development, maintenance of high accounting, auditing and ethical standards. ICAI now is the second largest accounting body in the world.
Positions held in 2014-15:
- Former Board Member of the International Federation of Accountants –New York
- International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) is the global organization for the accountancy profession. Founded in 1977, IFAC has 175 members and associates in 130 countries and jurisdictions, representing more than 2.5 million accountants employed in public practice, industry and commerce, government, and academe.
- Member – Audit Committee of the International Federation of Accountants for 2015
- Technical Advisor on the Board of International Federation of Accountants(IFAC)- New York.
- Member on the Board of the Confederation of Asia and Pacific Accountants (CAPA)
- Chairman of the Committee on Education, Training and CPD of South Asian Federation of Accountants (SAFA)
- Technical Advisor on the Board of SAFA
- Technical Advisor to Professional Accountancy Organisation Development Committee (PAODC) of IFAC.
- Member of the South Asian Federation of Accountants Assembly
- Member of Membership Development Committee of XBRL International
- Mentor – New York Chapter of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- Member of the Board of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA)
- Member of National Advisory Committee on Accounting Standards (NACAS constituted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India.
- Member of the High level Steering Committee for Implementation of XBRL based data submission by Banks
- Member of the Working Group constituted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in the areas of Corporate Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility and other aspects of Corporate Affairs.
- Member of the Task Force in the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in regard to the Plan Budget of the Ministry for the 12th Five Year Plan
- Member of the Advisory Committee on Mutual Funds of Security and Exchange Board of India.
- Member of the MCA 21 Stakeholders Committee constituted by Ministry of Corporate Affairs for ensuring continuous improvement in service delivery under MCA 21.
- Member of the Technical Committee on Budget and Accounting Standards for Urban Local Bodies constituted by the Ministry of Urban Development.
- Member of the Quality Review Board, an independent audit regulator for public interest entities.
- Member of the Regional Monitoring Committee of NBFC’s in Karnataka
- Member of the Working Group constituted by Reserve Bank of India for addressing implementation issues and formulation of operational guidelines in the context of IFRS convergence for Banks and NBFCs in India.
- Member of the RBI Working Group to review the norms for empanelment of statutory auditors in public sector banks.
- Member of the Audit Advisory Board constituted by the Office of the Comptroller & Auditor General of India.
- Chairman of XBRL India.
- Member of the Government Accounting Standards Advisory Board (GASAB) for Union and the States constituted by C&AG.
- Member of the India-UK (Indo-UK) Task Force on Corporate Affairs constituted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Member of the Task Force of Department of Public Enterprises (DPE) to provide professional and technical support to the DPE in the process of finalization of MOU documents.
- Member of the Insurance Advisory Committee constituted by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA).
- Member of the Governing Body of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Member of the Central Direct Taxes Advisory Committee (CDTAC) of Central Board of Direct Taxes and on Regional Direct Taxes Advisory Committee (RDTAC).
- Member of the Finance Committee of the National Council of the Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
- Member of the Governing Council of National Foundation for Corporate Governance (NFCG).
- Member of the Quality Review Board under Chapter VII of the Actuaries Act, 2006.
- Chairing all the three standing committees Executive, Finance and Examination of ICAI.
- Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee and Board of Discipline,
- Editor-in-Chief of the Journal “The Chartered Accountant” of ICAI.
- Chairman & Director on Board of ICAI Accounting Research Foundation, a research wing of ICAI and incorporated as a body under the Companies Act, 2013.
- Chairman of Chartered Accountants’ Benevolent Fund, Chartered Accountants’ Students Benevolent Fund and the S.Vaidyanathan Aiyer Memorial Fund.
- Chairman – CSR Committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- Chairman for Committee for Review of Education and Training of ICAI
Member of all the Non-Standing Committees of ICAI.
- Accounting Standards Board
- Auditing and Assurance Standards Board
- Ethical Standards Board
- Peer Review Board
- Financial Reporting Review Board
- Internal Audit Standards Board
- Board of Studies
- Corporate Laws & Corporate Governance Committee
- Direct Taxes Committee
- Indirect Taxes Committee
- Audit Committee
- Ind AS (IFRS) Implementation Committee
- International Affairs Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Research Committee
- HR Transformation Committee
- Technology Development Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Expert Advisory Committee
- Strategy and Perspective Planning Committee
- Women Members Empowerment Committee
- Young Members Empowerment Committee
- Continuing Professional Education Committee
- Committee on Public Finance and Government Accounting
- Committee on International Taxation
- Committee on Management Accounting
- Committee for Entrepreneurship and Public Services
- Committee for Members in Industry
- Committee on Accounting Standards for Local Bodies
- Committee on Banking, Insurance and Pension
- Committee for Capacity Building for Small and Medium Practioners
- Committee on Information Technology
- Committee for Co-operatives and NPO Sectors
- Committee on Economic, Commercial Laws and WTO
- Committee on Financial Markets and Investors Protection
CA Mohan Rao
Mohan Rao is a Chartered Accountant and Company Secretary with a rich experience of over 38 years in Banking, Finance, Manufacturing and Infra sectors.
Mohan has participated in various National and International programmes, imparting his expertise through seminars and articles.
Professional Career and Experience
- Over 16 years of experience in GMR Group as Chief Financial Officer of Subsidiaries, Airports, Highways and Infra verticals.
- In addition to his active participation in various innovative fund-raising exercises for GMR Group, Mohan has contributed significantly to the divestment plans as Project Lead.
- As Joint Ventures Head, Mohan played a crucial role in establishing various Joint Ventures and their funding in the Aviation sector.
- As Director, he nurtured the Joint Venture companies in terms of Corporate Governance, Business Planning, Profitability, Systems & Processes, and Internal Controls.
- Contributed to over 25 companies as Director.
- Headed various functions of Credit, Risk Management, Treasury, Merchant Banking, Strategic Alliances in Banking and Financial Sectors.
- Established new financial Leasing and Merchant Banking business verticals in a leading private sector bank.
- Commended by the Board of the Bank for his strategic contribution to Treasury Management, capital raising and a successful strategic alliance with an international bank.